Corona Took My Job
The onset of Covid-19 is having a devastating effect on the Gainesville community, particularly for small business owners and creatives. Many have lost bookings that they were counting on.
Please help support our community in the Gainesville area by making donations directly to them using their information listed below.
Income lost: $1000+
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Venmo: https://venmo.com/downtownchelseabrown
- Paypal: email@example.com
It’s only a matter how long till all my weddings cancel (gatherings of 50+ people). As of right now one wedding has cancelled and it’s only going to continue in the heart of wedding season. I’m also afraid people are not going to be booking weddings after such a financial crisis. 😔 Anything helps.
High Dive Bar & Venue
Live Music Venue
Income lost: $30k – $50k estimated debt will be incurred
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cash App ID: https://www.highdivegainesville.com for more info on how to help
- Paypal: email@example.com
High Dive is a cultural institution in downtown Gainesville, and the epicenter of the local music and events scene. This has been the home of live music in Gainesville going back to the 90s as Covered Dish and Common Grounds. High Dive has thrived in this location for 8+ years.
The State of FL has ordered all bars and nightclubs shut for the next 30 days. Unfortunately, this is likely just the beginning of the disruption we will see. The next several months will be a very trying time for our business, our staff and their loved ones, and the artists whose shows are being affected. Please keep us all in your thoughts.
Our goal is to reopen as soon as safely possible and continue to deliver you the 1st class concert and event experience you have trusted us to bring you for the last 8+ years. However, we must be honest that this will not be possible without support from the community. Our monthly bills are in the multiple 10’s of thousands and we have no way to make money without people in the building – alcohol and ticket sales are our only sources of revenue. With that said, we are open to any ideas, suggestions, or offerings from the community, and are launching the following efforts to keep us afloat in these lean times.
1) Summer Season Pass: We are launching our Summer Season Pass program early. Like always, the Season Pass will get you in to EVERY show on our calendar for the whole Summer, even if the show is Sold Out. Quantity of passes will also be limited. Due to the current climate, we are unsure what shows will be on our summer calendar, but we can tell you that a lot of the shows which are cancelling or rescheduling right now are asking about new summer dates. Also be assured that once things are right in the world again and it is apparent when we can re-open, we will be calling on a lot of friends and past High Dive acts to play a show. Cost of the passes will be on a sliding scale system from $59 – $199 (plus fees). All purchases will include High Dive merch such as a sticker, coozie, t- shirt or hoodie. This is the best way you can help us pay some of our expenses now while also getting an incredible value back in return. ALL SHOWS IN THE SUMMER (PLUS MERCH) FOR ONE FIXED PRICE, we mean it! Available at highdivegainesville.com and then picked up at the venue at the start of the summer semester.
2) GIFT CARDS: We have launched E-Gift Cards which are valid for any individual show ticket purchased at our box office / door, or any bar purchase. These are virtual declining balance cards with no expiration date. PURCHASE GIFT CARDS HERE – https://squareup.com/gift/WV74RTGMG6XBJ/order
3) Table & Chair Rentals: We have 150 folding chairs and 10 folding tables. We will rent and deliver them to you. Every dollar you spend on these things will go towards paying any unavoidable overhead (such as rent, utilities, insurance) during this forced closure and allowing us to continue paying core staff.
There will be more things announced as we get them together including ways to directly help our staff. We need your help to survive! Please email us if you want to help!
Thank you Gainesville for allowing us to serve you for 8+ years. We hope to have 8 more.
Sincerely, The High Dive Team
Freelance Makeup Artist
Income lost: 3025 +
I’m a freelance makeup artist whose job is to literally to touch peoples faces. Within the first 24 hours of this I lost $2k in work and it keep climbing. On top of that most of my work only books 3 hours to 2 weeks in advance so in this time nothing else is booking. From commercial shoots ending early, to weddings canceling and individuals not able to go to events or photoshoots. Paying my bills (mortgage in particular) is what is most scary. I’m not good at asking for help but right now that’s what many of us have to do to stay afloat.
Income lost: $1800
Hi there:) I’m a local cello teacher and performer. I was supposed to perform some high end weddings in April and they are going to elope instead because of the coronavirus. I waived my contract and did not charge them what I was owed because they were going to be out tens of thousands of dollars.
This is my rent and utilities.
Anything helps, thank you:)
Dance & fitness instructor and promotional model
Income lost: $3000
I am autoimmune compromised. I don’t have any family I can turn too. If I don’t work I don’t get paid. I’m scared, lost and terrified I’m going to loose everything I have worked so hard for. I own Elegant Body Pilates. I teach dance and fitness to the community. I also do promotional modeling. All of my jobs have been affected drastically by the virus. I can not take on other jobs to make additional money as I’m too delicate to give blood or plasma and I can’t be in large groups. I live with Sjogrens and Fibromyalgia. I also have multiple food allergies. I need all the help I can get. I am scared. I do not have health insurance, savings or great credit. I work hard and hustle daily. This is my life, my home and my rescue pets lives that have been affected.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Venmo: @Jacquelinevaldez
- Paypal: Jvtigerito08@gmail.com
- Cash App ID: $Jacquelinevaldez
Income lost: $1500
I am a 5th generation Gainesville resident who studied zoology at Santa Fe College as a single mom of two boys. To spend more time with my children I grew a very successful business by working with students and professionals in the area who often leave town and can’t take their pets with them. Unfortunately this virus caused literally all of my clients and all of my income to be wiped out in just 24 hours. Anyone local to Gainesville or Newberry who is able to donate now will be given a certificate of equal value they can redeem at any time for pet and house Sitting services by me. I generally charge $20 per visit, so if you would like me to come walk your dog three times a day, it would be $60 a day. I can also come walk your dog once a day while you are at work for $20 per walk. Please be sure to email me your donation amount, your name and phone number so I can keep a file of everyone who would like house sitting services in the future. Thank you so much for your time and consideration!
Nonprofit Theatre Artist
Income lost: $1800
I am a freelance theatre artist. I also run a nonprofit theatre organization. I get-by through gigging and substitute teaching. We need the arts to help tell our story and help us create solutions to this problem and others. Please help me pay my bills this month so I can continue to do my important job of being an artist and an arts leader.